Thursday, October 4, 2012

healthy eating.

 via
 Along with my changes in exercise I've tried to make changes to my diet as well.  Not huge I'm eating paleo or no longer eating carbs changes but trying to incorporate more vegetables and proteins into my diet.  I eat very little meat and would love to make the switch to a full blown vegetarian however a change like that is hard, and requires a lot of planning and cooking and...I hate to cook.  That being said small changes are things that stick and many small changes over time will lead to a much healthier lifestyle.  Here is a sample of my old eating habits routine and my new one.

Old Diet:
Breakfast- Reduced Fat Lance Toast Cheese Peanut Butter Crackers, Diet Coke
Snack- Protein Bar, Diet Coke
Lunch- Lean Cuisine of some sort that I have in the fridge or salad from mellow mushroom
Dinner- Egg sandwich with chips, another lean cuisine, or a dinner out where I would most likely get sushi, Mexican, pub food, or a salad of some sort.

As you can see this is bad.  I'm getting no nutrients, no fruits and vegetables, nothing of much substance at all.

New Diet:
Breakfast- Green Smoothie (Spinach, Raspberries, Banana, Greek Yogurt, Fat Free Vanilla Almond Milk, Almond Butter), Instant oatmeal, or waffle with almond butter and a banana sliced on top
Snack- Rice cake with a little bit of peanut butter and a diet coke
Lunch- Lean Cuisine (if I'm rushed), sandwich and chips with carrots, or a take-out salad
Snack- I'll have a pear, grapes, or some string cheese.  If none of that is available I have a few pretzels and a cup of coffee.
Dinner-Choice of one of the following Stir fry with squash, zucchini, and onion with a little brown rice or chicken sausage with half a sandwich thin plus some carrots or a small salad, salad with spinach, almonds, cherry tomatoes, a little cheese, and a lite vinaigrette caesar dressing.

With my new changes I am eating a lot healthier as well as getting a lot more fruit and veggies.  I'm trying to eat out much less and drink at least 96 ounces of water per day.  One of my weaknesses is Diet Coke which I have cut back on a lot but I still have to have at least two per day or I get serious caffeine headaches  I figure two isn't that bad so I'm okay with that.

I like to keep the following in my house so when I'm in a rush I can just grab and go...
~Baby Carrots
~100 Calorie Pack Almonds
~Instant Oatmeal
~Snack Size bags of chips to take for lunch
~Pears
~Raspberries
~Lean Cuisines
~Avacado
~Tortilla Chips
~Fresh Salsa

Having all these things on hand gives me a number of things I can snack on or if need a quick small meal I can throw something together easily.  Do you have any staples you always keep in your house?  Is anyone else trying to change up their diet for the better?

xo  

No comments:

Post a Comment