Monday, January 23, 2012

Old house, new house

I was thinking of all the ways I could share some of my favorite things with you all and with this blog just starting I thought a few ways would be how my home has transformed in the past year.

In October 2011 my roommate and I had lived here for a whole year and we really started to decorate and get in the groove of things.  It seems like after those first few months in the house together we got a feel of the place and started to understand what would look good and what wouldn't.

These pictures were taken in late December of 2010, a little over two months of living in the house together.  A lot has changed since then but today I would like to share with you just the beginning!  Tomorrow you will see all the changes!

It really is crazy how your personal style transforms and changes as you learn design and what looks good/what looks really bad!

I remember looking at some of my things and thinking how great they looked and then seeing pictures and thinking "WOW!"  You really did think that looked good then?  WRONG!

You live and you learn right?!?


This is the original living room, the couches are from my parents, which underneath the black slipcovers are a red and green plaid!  The curtains are from my college house that my mom made for me.  The lamp is an amazing find from a thrift store that I spray painted black and recovered the shade in a taupe burlap.  Lastly, the frames are all from ikea.  Originally I loved the layout but after living with it for a few months I felt the frames were too cookie cutter and changed everything.


This is the first thing you see when walking into my home, the table is from my roommate's parents and the bench was actually a coffee table that I tried to make into an ottoman and failed miserably.  It was about five inches to high and looked very awkward with the couches, so when push comes to shove and you need to seat six people at a table, when in doubt work with what you have!


Another view of the dining room.  Ignore the trash in the background it was on its way to the dumpster!


Baby office nook, no chair I know!  And to this day this desk still has no chair.  Today we usually use it as a wet bar area when people are over, otherwise it usually has things piled high on top of it.


Close up!


Kitchen...enough said.


Other side.


View of the living room from the kitchen.  The Christmas tree was still up because we had people over for New Years!


The view of my bedroom from the living room.  Notice, no headboard/footboard, no nightstands, no anything! I don't know why but I did like sleeping close to the floor!


Side view.


Master bath using all of my old decorating items from college!


Shower curtain.


 Towel rack.


This was my makeshift nightstand that was actually a shelving unit for a bathroom, hey you use what you have right?!?

And that is my apartment!

Tomorrow I will show all the changes that have occurred in the past few months.  A ton of different furniture items have been added, artwork switched out and basically I have redone the whole apartment, I love it all though.  I feel as if my style really has changed and evolved and I love everything about the look we have going on now!

No comments:

Post a Comment